Friday, April 18, 2008

The "Oudewater" Connection

Oudewater is a beautiful and well maintained old city in the province of Utrecht. The above drawing is by the Dutch painter Cornelis Springer (1817-1891) and provides a view of the Town Hall of Oudewater.

In 2005 I had the opportunity to visit the city of Oudewater and to meet up with (second) cousins that I had never met before! (Hello Marja). During my visits there I was truly impressed with the overall look and feel of this old city. A lot of the old buildings, indeed whole sections of the city, look like they have not changed much during the last 200 years, but are in a good state of repair. Oudewater is important to me because it is the focus of a region where my father's father and family used to live. Over the next few months I will try and put together a special album (album #8) about Oudewater and the various families that are of interest to me there!

No comments: